With storms continuing to hit the UK and households using their heating more, Jake Berry MP is reminding people in Rossendale and Darwen to install an audible carbon monoxide alarm.
The Department of Health estimates that 40 people are killed by carbon monoxide poisoning and at least 4,000 are treated in hospital in the UK every year. Research has found that 35 million households in the UK could be at risk of poisoning as they don’t have an alarm in their home.
“Many people don’t realise that they’re at risk from carbon monoxide poisoning as they have their heating on more often during the cold weather.
“Carbon monoxide can kill without any warning, but it is very easy to prevent. That’s why I’m urging everyone in Rossendale and Darwen to make sure they and their loved ones are protected by installing a carbon monoxide alarm.”
Carbon monoxide is produced when fuel such as gas, coal or wood doesn’t burn properly – usually because of a faulty boiler or blocked ventilation.
Symptoms include headaches, nausea, dizziness and loss of consciousness and it is often mistaken for a cold or flu.
The poisonous gas has no colour, taste or smell so the only way to be protected is to have a carbon monoxide alarm.